Eph 4:9 TO ANEBH

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 2 17:14:08 EDT 2001

TO DE ANEBH TI ESTIN (Eph 4:9)

TO ANEBH was giving me pause, so I read E. Best (Eph ICC) and also
BDF(267.1). And still being somewhat in a muddle I took a look at John
Eadie, HAW Meyer, Obrien (Pillar) none of which helped much. So I went back
and looked at E. Best who is the best (with some reservations about his
introduction) and now this is what I have made out of all this "research"
:-)))))

In  TO ANEBH, TO makes the quotation (fragment) ANEBH perform as a
substantive, and then the question TI ESTIN is asked relative to this
substantive.

Is this essentially correct?

Thanks,

Clay