Parsing of Gal 3:11

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 15:55:59 EDT 2001

On Mon  1 Oct 2001 (10:22:29), moon at sogang.ac.kr wrote:
> (1)
> hOTI DE EN NOMWi OUDEIS DIKAIOUNTAI PARA TWi QEWi DHLON, hOTI
> hO DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS ZHSETAI.
>
> The above, with its decision to place the comma after DHLON,
> is usually translated as:
>  That in the law nobody is justified before God is obvious,
>  because the righteous shall live by faith.
>
> If we put the comma before DHLON as:
>
> (2)
> hOTI DE EN NOMWi OUDEIS DIKAIOUNTAI PARA TWi QEWi, DHLON hOTI
> hO DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS ZHSETAI,
>
> it will be translated as:
>
>  Because in the law nobody is justified before God, it is
>  obvious that the righteous shall live by faith.
>
> One of the fundamental principles of writing is "
> the subject and its predicate should be as close as possible".
>
> (2) satisfies this principle better than (1). In (2), the
> predicate DHLON is immediately followed by its subject,
> the hOTI clause.
>
> Is there any reason for most translations prefer (1) to (2)?

 Dear Moon,

 My preference is for (1), because that preserves the integrity (if that is
 the right word) of the quotation from Habakkuk, AMBAKOUM 2:4 LXX
 hO DE DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS MOU ZHSETAI.
 That said, the LXX has the wrong personal pronoun; the Hebrew requires
 hO DE DIKAIOS EK PISTEQS *AUTOU* ZHSETAI.  What Paul gives in Galatians 3:11
 and also in Romans 1:17 omits the personal pronoun; "the just shall live by
 [his own?] faith" implied by the context, IMHO. But Paul also adds in Romans
 1:17 the ascription KAQWS GEGRAPTAI to introduce the citation. This would
 seem to me to preclude putting the comma before DHLON.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF