1Cor 15:8

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:52:45 EDT 2001

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."
[From the Gospel of John, Chapter 14, verse 1.]

>From: "Carl W. Conrad"

>George Blaisdell wrote:

> >Now, using the same approach, with this root that means "wound", the root
>analysis would be "out of wound[ing]", [in some sense] which is certainly
>what Saul was doing to the Church, to Christ - wounding It/Him, and in his
>Damascus event, his spiritual birth, he was himself wounded unto blindness
>through that event, to be healed by the Church he had been wounding.  So it
>still seems to kind of work from the root approach, but I would not want to
>try to bank on it!

> >This is a pretty good puzzle... [how to understand this word]...

> >>Earlier, Dennis provided this:

> >>The elements making up this word (EK TRW MA) would suggest "the effect
>of some sort of trama in being expelled".

> >>Is Dennis correct, and if so, how does this correspond
> >>with your etymological "wound" ? Do you agree that in the
> >>normal sense of this word, it denotes some kind of "early"
> >>birth?

> >(a) Yes, he's essentially correct

> >(b) I DON'T think that the normal sense of this word emphasizes
>"early"...  The fundamental sense would seem to be "unnatural or violent
removal of a fetus from a womb"... [that] relates to some deficiency in the
infant ...; Paul confesses himself to be unworthy of being called a
full-fledged apostle.)" And I think this gives pretty good sense.

> >The noun doesn't seem to mean "early birth" so much as "unnatural
> >birth"--as opposed to normal childbirth at full-term.

Is the word used anywhere other than here by Paul?  In the literature of
Attic Greek?  Liddell-Scott has "NT est." after its definition of EKTRWMA,
which I am taking to mean that they base their definition on a word
established in the New Testament...  Which leads us back to the idea that
Paul coined a descriptive term for his conversion or "birth" into Christ's
Church.  And I have no problem giving his experience the character of
"traumatic", for it blinded him - Could he be but saying that he became
Christ's apostle by means of trauma, as opposed to the "normal" birth
process of discipleship with a three year plus gestation that was entered by
the 12?

Thus we could say that Paul got traumatized into Christ, whereas the 12 had
normal births...

geo