Technology and teaching Greek

Decker, Rodney rdecker at bbc.edu
Tue Aug 28 13:54:42 EDT 2001

Clay,

You will discover problems if you use Ling. Soft. fonts. They print in high
quality, but they have some major problems. One being that the font is
flagged as "Do not embed." This was not true of older versions of their
fonts. They now want an *additional* *annual* lisc. fee for an embeddable
version--another $50/year after you've already shelled out $100/font. Their
fonts also have major problems with Windows Word. Don't try moving copies of
the same document from Word 95, 97, or 2000 between any other version of
Word. Disaster. L.S. claims that it is a Microsoft problem. But it's odd
that these are the *only* fonts that I know of that have the problem. That's
why I decided to create my own Greek fonts (and probably my own problems!)
for class and Internet use: <http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/galilee.htm>.
(The beta release of my font is designed for larger display sizes,
particularly OHs and video projection--say 14 pt and up--and for screen
legibility, not for use as a text font at this point, though I hope that
will come in time.) In any event it gets me away from the Ling. Soft./Graeca
problems.

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D.
Associate Prof./NT
Baptist Bible Seminary