EIS QEON

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 20:44:09 EDT 2001

In a message dated 8/27/01 5:56:41 PM, emory2oo2 at hotmail.com writes:

>In Hebrews 8:10, we have:
>
>...KAI EPI KARDIAS AUTWN EMPGRAFW AUTOUS
>KAI ESOMAI AUTOIS EIS QEON
>KAI AUTOI ESONTAI MOI EIS LAON.
>
>What are the translational options for EIS, which
>I assume would be the same in its function with QEON and LAON.
>
>Some translations seem to not translate it altogether.
>
>Thank you
>
>Mark Wilson

Mark, I would call this a predicate accusative. Some refer to p. a. as
instances where a transitive verb has two "objects" in the accusative case. I
think that the accusative with EIS with a verb to be is also a predicate
accusative. See also ESOMAI hUMIN EIS PATERA (2 Cor. 6:18) or ESONTAI hOI DUO
EIS SARKA MIAN (Matt. 19:5)

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College