LXX Psalm 20

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Mon Aug 27 12:01:05 EDT 2001

Dear Thomas and B-Greekers,

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:18:46 +0200 "Thomas J. Kraus" <tj.kraus at gmx.de>
writes:
> Dear B-Greekers,
>
> after pondering quite a time about LXX Psalm 20:13, I have to ask for
> assistance. Probably, I can´t see the wood for the trees anymore!

[snip the rest]

Since no one has attemped a response to this as yet, here's my "little
greeker's" shot at it.

Although the king puts his trust in the Lord, v. 8, he does have enemies,
v. 9. I understand these to be MILITARY opponents. Further, I understand
vss. 9, 10, 12 and 13 to be describing, in poetic language, a MILITARY
encounter.

First the Greek text:

9) hEUREQEIH hH CEIR SOU PASIN TOIS ECQROIS SOU,
	hH DEXIA SOU hEUROI PANTAS TOUS MISOUNTAS SE.
10) QHSEIS AUTOUS hWS KLIBANON PUROS EIS KAIRON TOU 	PROSWPOU SOU '
	KURIOS EN ORGHi AUTOU SUNTARAXEI AUTOUS,
	KAI KATAFAGETAI AUTOUS PUR.
11) ...
12) hOTI EKLINAN EIS SE KAKA,
	DIELOGISANTO BOULHN, hHN OU MH DUNWNTAI STHSAI.
13) hOTI QHSEIS AUTOUS NWTON '
	EN TOIS PERILOIPOIS SOU hETOIMASEIS TO PROSWPON
	AUTWN.

Here's how I would render it:

9) May your hand strike down [be found by] all your enemies,
	may your right hand strike down [find] all those who hate you.
10) You will force [put] them into a critical encounter [the opportunity]
	with [of] your front line [face] as into a fiery furnace.
	The Lord in his anger will terrorize them,
	and fire will eat them up.
11) ...
12) For they intended [to make] trouble for you.
	They devised a strategem which they could never pull off.
13) For you will attack their rear flank; [push them with respect to
their
	backside];
	With the rest of your [forces] you will prepare [to attack] their
	front line [face].

I think the words in brackets pretty much explain and justify my
translation.

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi -- qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
New Haven, CT USA
Nibai kaurno hwaiteis gadriusando in airtha gaswiltith,
silbo ainata aflifnith: ith jabai gaswiltith, manag akran bairith.