1Cor 15:8

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Mon Aug 27 10:51:18 EDT 2001

This is interesting.  The importance of the GAR should not be
under estimated.  Thanks Iver!

Citing Levinsohn:
  Background material introduced by GAR provides explanations or
  expositions of the previous assertion (see Winer 1882:566-67,
  Robertson n.d.:1190, Harbeck 1970:12).  The presence of GAR constrains
  the material that it introduces to be interpreted as STRENGTHENING
  some aspect of the previous assertion, rather than as distinctive
  information.[emphasis his]

Could it be that Paul has his Damascus road experience in mind and
not so much the early chapters of Job?  He certainly, ISTM, is
thinking of a series of events.

If I read the list of people who Paul cites as witnesses, they all
can quite easily refer to people who had lived with Jesus prior
to his death and resurrection.  The only possible exception (other
than Paul) is "500 of the brothers."  However, this could easily
refer to brothers who had been there with Jesus for a while.  If
this is a chronological list (quite likely I think), then these
brothers met the resurrected Jesus BEFORE James and the rest of
the Apostles.  It seems quite plausible to me that Jesus appeared
to those who had ALREADY been following him before his ascension
and the EKKLHSIA rocketed into existence.

ISTM, that these people all knew the pre-death Jesus.  So, that means
Paul is drawing a vivid contrast with the "still-born" metaphor.  In
effect, he might be saying, "Look, I wasn't even WITH Jesus before,
when everyone else was there.  I had nothing that could be called or
even inferred as life before.  At that time, I was dead.  It was
only AFTER the resurrection (the birth) that I came alive.  For
proof let me offer that after the resurrection, I persecuted the
church..."   In effect he said:  for everyone else, life started
before the resurrection; for me, it was after.

I like the lexical cohesion between `still-born' and `resurrection'.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."