Luke 18:11 PROS hEAUTOV

Chet Creider creider at csd.uwo.ca
Mon Aug 27 08:52:40 EDT 2001

What is the sense of the preposition PROS in Luke 18:11:
hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS TAUTA PROS hEAUTON PROSHUCETO

Zerwick and Grosvenor suggest "within", and I have seen "with" and
"about" (all followed by "himself") in various English translations.
Metzger (_A Textual Commentary..._, 2nd ed.) notes that the preposition
has caused difficulty and is replaced with KATA in some versions and
in others omitted entirely.

A second question, not unrelated.  It is likely that this question
has been asked before, but I was unable to manipulate the search
engine in the archives to do more than get the first of some 106
replies to my search string of "Luke 18:11".  I use a vt100 emulation
and it is not obvious with it how to access the full string of
search results.  Is there a document which explains this anywhere?

Thanks,

Chet Creider