Technology and teaching Greek

Joseph A. Weaks j.weaks at student.tcu.edu
Fri Aug 24 16:18:14 EDT 2001

On a related note.  I am teaching Intro this semester in our new
technology room at Brite Divinity School, and am making full use of
it (document scanner, litho IR whiteboard, built in video/audio, and
a G4 server computer with projector).
This far into the semester, we are ahead of schedule, and much of it
is on account of the availability of these tools.  We begin the
semester with a two-day intensive retreat to get the students into
the language, and we went blazingly fast, compared to years past.  I
create powerpoint slides for each teaching point, including
progressive declension systems and examples from the workbook.  I
have web resources ready to hand. We use Flashworks to introduce new
vocabulary... all in front of them on the big screen.
The benefits included:

- quicker pace when they don't have to wait on me to write things on the board
- we still have the whiteboard for any and every time we make use of it as well
- since the examples use a computer font, they recognize patterns
without having to decipher my handwriting
- the preparation forces me to be more thoughtful about the 'flow' of
the seminar
- while it's still novel, the process engages the students

The potential is incredible, from in-class work to Jamie Macleod's
"PocketGreek" that makes vocabulary quizzing based on Mounce
available on their Palm devices.  Two points:

1.  Are there others teaching Greek "in this century", so to speak?
If so, how are you making use of such tools for pedagogy?

2.  Is there any interest in me making a modest number of the
powerpoint slides based on Mounce's book available for everyone once
the semester is complete?   Slides through chapter 12 are finished.
(Ugh, please don't read that as an endorsement of Micro$oft
products.) Surely someone else has other resources to offer?  I found
Mounce's "Overhead" pdf files very disappointing.

I'm curious if this will prompt someone to respond with hostility at
moving away from classical approaches to learning, a maintenance of
"tried and true" methods which are not innately "true", just because
they are "tried".

Joe Weaks

At 0:37 -0400 8/24/01, Jim McGowan wrote:
>If anyone out there uses this text and would be so kind as to share
>anything that will help, I would be most grateful.
Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
Pastor, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
Ph.D. Student, Brite Divinity School
jweaks at yahoo.com
http://stuwww.tcu.edu/~jweaks/