TAMIEION TAMIEIA

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Aug 24 09:17:42 EDT 2001

At 6:24 PM -1300 8/23/01, SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH wrote:
>TAMIEIA is translated "inner parts" or "chambers" or "hidden rooms" or
>"constellations."  Can it mean the houses of the Zodiac?
>
>Thanks.
>
>See Job 9:9 in the Septuagint.

In the context what seems to described here are various aspects of the
created universe; I would think that TAMIEIA NOTOU might very possibly mean
in this context something like "hidden sources of the south wind" in terms
comparable to Vergil's notion of the cave of Aeolus whence the wind-god
releases what winds he will.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com