Rev.2:23 NEFROUS

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 20 13:08:49 EDT 2001

At 04:58 PM 8/20/2001, George Blaisdell wrote:
>NEFROS means kidneys, yet my KJV translates it here as reins, and I am not
>all that clear on what NEFROUS means in this passage.  The trail between
>reins and kidneys is looking murky and obscure.
>
>Anyone got a light on this one?

"Reins" is an archaic English word for "kidneys."  It came from
Old French "reins" from Latin "renes" (kidneys).  Although
spelled the same, it has nothing to do with the straps that
are used to control horses.

Stephen Carlson

Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35