1John4:7-8 Ongoing Present

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 20:52:33 EDT 2001

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

__________________________________

1JOHN4:

[7]AGAPHTOI AGAPWMEN ALLHLOUS OTI H AGAPH EK QEOU ESTI, KAI PAS O AGAPWN EK
TOU QEOU GEGENNHTAI KAI GINWSKEI TON QEON [8] O MH AGAPWN OUK EGNW TON QEON
OTI O QEOS AGAPH ESTIN.

My KJV reads: "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and
every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not
knoweth not God, for God is love."

I confess I could make no sense of it, when translated this way, for the
present subjunctive is not punctiliar, and I was too painfully familiar with
loving one minute and not loving the next...  And the KJV seems to make the
matter a punctiliar either-or that divides people into two groups.

When is is translated literally, it makes more sense:  "Beloved, we should
be loving one another because love out of God is, and all who are loving out
of God have been born, and are knowing God.  Whoever is not loving knoweth
[timeless aorist] not God, because God is Love."

The literal translation affirms that a person is knowing God while loving
another, having been born of God, but when not loving does not know God.
Thus it seems to more address the changeable condition of the hearts of
those in Christ's Church...

geo