Hebrew New Testament

GregStffrd at aol.com GregStffrd at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 21:17:48 EDT 2001

In a message dated 08/17/2001 7:55:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Lamont.Norman at idea.com writes:

<< Thank you for your response Greg.  Are there English versions of these
 "sources" that I can examine and make arguments with? >>

Dear Lamont:

Here are some places to start:

For the Gospels

C. F. Burney, The Aramaic Origin of the Fourth Gospel (Oxford: Clarendon,
1922).

C. C. Torrey, "The Translations Made from the Original Aramaic Gospels," in
Studies in the History of Religions Presented to Crawford Howell Toy (New
York: Macmillan, 1912).

Jean Carmignac, "Studies in the Hebrew Background of the Synoptic Gospels,"
Annual of the Swedish Theological Institute 7 (1970), pp. 64-93.

For Matthew specifically:

George Howard, The Hebrew Gospel of Matthew, 2d. ed. (Macon, Georgia: Mercer
UP, 1995).

Ibid., "The Textual Nature of an Old Hebrew Version of Matthew," JBL 105
(1986), pp. 49-63.

H. J. Schonfield, An Old Hebrew Text of St. Matthew's Gospel (Edinburgh: T &
T Clark, 1927).

For Revelation

J. M. Grintz, "Hebrew as the Spoken and Written Language in the Last Days of
the Second Temple," JBL 79 (1960), pp. 32-47. ***This is a very good
article***

For a good introduction to the study of the Aramaic background to the NT, see
J. A. Fitzmeyer, A Wandering Aramean: Collected Aramaic Essays (I have the
edition combined with The Semitic Background of the New Testament - any
search or library check will bring up the Wandering Aramean title, though).
See especially all of Chapter 1 and Chapter 4.I.

The above sources will point you to the previously mentioned references in
the church fathers.

Have fun!

Best regards,

Greg Stafford