Hebrew New Testament

Paul Schmehl p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 17 19:26:22 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <GregStffrd at aol.com>
To: <p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net>
Cc: <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: [b-greek] Re: Hebrew New Testament

> In a message dated 08/16/2001 6:03:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> << Actually, the entire Bible was originally written in the King's English
and
>  subsequently translated into the Greek we have now.  No one knows this
>  because after the translation was done, all the scribes and supporters
were
>  murdered to hide the evidence.
>
>  Sound ridiculous?  It's the same argument. >>
>

> Dear Paul (and Lamont)
>
> Actually, it's not the same argument. We know that the "King's English" is
> not a possibility, but Hebrew certainly is as it was in use during the
time
> when the NT docs were authored; therefore, the analogy given above is not
> good one.

Should I have used Akkadian?  Or Persian?  The point of the analogy was that
the theory, as stated, is unprovable, since you cannot prove a negative.  If
all the copies are gone and all the testimony to something's existence is
gone, then you can never advance beyond the theory, which is why so many
dismiss it out of hand.

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/