Hebrew New Testament

GregStffrd at aol.com GregStffrd at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 10:42:25 EDT 2001

In a message dated 08/16/2001 6:03:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Actually, the entire Bible was originally written in the King's English and
 subsequently translated into the Greek we have now.  No one knows this
 because after the translation was done, all the scribes and supporters were
 murdered to hide the evidence.

 Sound ridiculous?  It's the same argument. >>

Dear Paul (and Lamont)

Actually, it's not the same argument. We know that the "King's English" is
not a possibility, but Hebrew certainly is as it was in use during the time
when the NT docs were authored; therefore, the analogy given above is not a
good one.

Additionally, we have the testimony from a variety of Church fathers (Origen,
Eusebius, Jerome, and others) that certain NT books were written in Hebrew.
Furthermore, the grammar of some books (such as the books of Mark and
Revelation) seems to reveal a Hebrew/Aramaic vorlage. Finally, books like
Matthew actually have a textual tradition that includes several Hebrew
manuscripts reflecting an early text-type.

So while I would not abandon the Greek mss. in favor of partially unknown
Hebrew versions, the theory of an original Hebrew/Aramaic NT has much more
going for it than the suggestion that the NT was originally written in the
"King's English."

Best regards,

Greg Stafford