pending results on questionaire

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Fri Aug 17 09:18:18 EDT 2001

thank you for responses, so far, to the questionaire.
I would like to see over thiry responses before presenting
results, which would mean ten more responses over the
weekend. so far the responses are quite interesting and
somewhat surprising to me, at least.
For those who would still like to resond, please do so
offlist.

EUCARISTO
Randall Buth

There are only two questions and answering can be done by number and
letter or by copying the email. Question one will be especially helpful to
me,
regardless of preferences on question two.

       ===       ===       ===

1. ASSUMING that someone was going to learn to approximate a 1c
KOINE GREEK pronunciation, ... (choose 'A' or 'B'):
   A.
   we should promote a PRACTICAL historical pronunciation of consonants that
is relatively easy for speakers of major world languages like English,
Spanish,
French.
[Thus, for Koine Greek we could accept the modern (=Erasmian) voiceless
fricatives (FI, QETA, CI) on practical grounds, even accepting that such
voiceless fricatives may be anachronistically early by three centuries.
The voiced fricatives (veta, ghamma, partly dhelta) would already be
accepted
on historical principles for the first century (for data see Horrocks 1997
).]
     B.
     we should promote a relatively AUTHENTIC historical pronunciation of
consonants.
[This would involve distinguishing "unaspirated Tau" from "aspirated Teta",

"unaspirated Kappa" from "aspirated Ki". (note spellings Teta and Ki,
pronounced
like English) The voiced fricatives  (veta, ghamma, partly dhelta) would
already
be accepted on historical principles for the first century CE]

Please answer question one from the perspective of being about to invest
500-1000 hours of study in speaking Koine.
       ===       ===       ===
2. Students should learn to pronounce KOINE GREEK
     a1. like modern Greek, (because the Greeks own the language.)
     a2. like modern Greek, (because that's the way I learned it.)
     b1. like Attic [Allen-Daitz], (because Attic is the standard base
          and Allen-Daitz is the most authentic representation.)
     b2. like Attic [Allen-Daitz], (because that's the way I learned
          it.)
     c1. like Erasmian Attic, (because it's the commonest in non-Greek
          schools.)
     c2. like Erasmian Attic, (because that's the way I learned it.)
     d1. as close to Koine as possible, (either 1A or 1B above.)
     d2. as close to Koine as possible, (another  the way I learned.)
     e1. any way one pleases, (because no one can know/cares how to speak
          a dead language.)
     e2.  any way one pleases, (because that's the way I do/learned it.)

respondants may ignore the parenthetical reasons by giving 2 + (abcde)
without an additional number.  E.g. An answer "2a" means simply
"like modern Greek".

I'll publish a summary count if/when over 30 people respond to the
questionaire
OFFLIST.

Thank you for your help and interest.

Randall Buth