Ego Hn?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 16 20:32:17 EDT 2001

At 6:54 PM -0400 8/16/01, Matthew R. Miller wrote:
>Hello all B-Greekers, Matthew R. Miller here:
>
>I understand, after looking at some examples, that the phrase "egw eimi"
>is often used in the NT to simply mean something like, "I am he," "I am
>the one," It is I," or "Hey! It's me!"  My question is this: if a koine
>speaker wanted to say "It was I," essentially the same phrase in the
>imperfect or in the aorist states, how would he have said it? Is there any
>NT example of this, or any example at all in the literature? Again, I am
>asking grammatically, not theologically. Thanks! Matthew R. Miller

It is reasonable enough to suppose that such a phrase as EGW HN might mean
"It was I" (or in more colloquial--standard English: "It was me"), but it
is certainly not attested in the Greek NT. I don't know whether it's found
in extra-biblical literature or not; a search could be run on the TLG to
find out, if someone wanted to go to the trouble.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com