Ego Hn?

Matthew R. Miller biblicalscribe at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 16 18:54:07 EDT 2001

Hello all B-Greekers, Matthew R. Miller here:

I understand, after looking at some examples, that the phrase "egw eimi"
is often used in the NT to simply mean something like, "I am he," "I am
the one," It is I," or "Hey! It's me!"  My question is this: if a koine
speaker wanted to say "It was I," essentially the same phrase in the
imperfect or in the aorist states, how would he have said it? Is there any
NT example of this, or any example at all in the literature? Again, I am
asking grammatically, not theologically. Thanks! Matthew R. Miller