comfort and barrett

Eric S. Weiss eweiss at gte.net
Thu Aug 16 09:07:49 EDT 2001

I also noticed that these letters with a dieresis do not only follow
vowels. One off-list respondent suggested that the dieresis was to
indicate to the reader that the vowel was NOT part of a diphthong, but the
beginning of a new word (this would be necessary if, in a manuscript with
no spaces between the letters, the reader might mistakenly join these
letters to the previous word as part of a iota or upsilon diphthong). So
these double-dots above some of the letters in Comfort's transcription
(and, apparently, in the mss. themselves) still remain a mystery to me.
Any help?