When is a form real?

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Wed Aug 15 13:14:58 EDT 2001

"hefin jones" <hefinjones at hotmail.com> said:
> 1.   The view of bilingualism advocated here is seriously flawed. True
>  bilinguals don't privilege one language over the other(s) in their
> minds. In  fact in certain contexts one can switch from one language
> to the other and  back again without being especially conscious of
> doing so.

I should add to my previous comments that what I said should not
be construed to contradict Hefin's comment.

Someone, on this list in fact, told a story of a person speaking
in one language to her mother.  She turned to her husband's brother
and spoke in English FULLY ASSUMING he had understood what she had
said to her mother.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."