comfort and barrett

Eric S. Weiss eweiss at gte.net
Tue Aug 14 22:38:33 EDT 2001

I have the new edition of THE TEXT OF THE EARLIEST NEW TESTAMENT GREEK
MANUSCRIPTS.

One change the authors made in this edition is to put a dot under
uncertain letters. This is explained in the Preface.

I've also noticed that they sometimes show two tiny dots above a letter,
like a dieresis - e.g., p. 105 Revelation 1:7 above the iota in IDOU; p.
107 James 2:21 above the iota in ISAAK; p. 74 John 1:31 above the upsilon
in hUDATI; p. 318 Galatians 4:30 above the iotas in hUION and hUIOS. It
thus seems to be used above iota and upsilon, but not every iota or
upsilon. I can't find Comfort's explanation for this in the introduction
(perhaps I overlooked it). Any explanation?