1 John 1:9

Rob Matlack rmatlack at juno.com
Mon Aug 13 18:24:23 EDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:59:29 +0000 "Mark Wilson" <emory2oo2 at hotmail.com>
writes:
> Mark House wrote:
>
> ---
> >v. 6: "If we say that we are having (enjoying) fellowship with him,
> and are
> >walking in darkness, we are lying and not practicing the
> truth...."
> >
> >If we follow the progressives into v. 9, we have something like:
> "If we are
> >confessing our sins, he is faithful and just....
> >
> >It seems to me that if one accepts this present progressive scheme,
> the
> >implication is unavoidable that the confessing is part of the
> ongoing
> >experience of the believer.
> ----
>
> If, by Progressive, you mean an action that is ongoing in the
> sense of "unbroken continuation," then I think I would have to
> disagree.
> I am not sure the word hOMOLOGEW could bear that here.
>
> Personally, I think of a Present as "ongoing" as often as I think
> of an Aorist as "once-for-all," which is practically never, and
> on the occasions I do think of an "ongoing" action or state, I do
> so based on the lexical aspect primarily.
>
> I would prefer to call this a Habitual Present. The idea then is
> not to be continually confessing, but make it your habit to
> confess your sins... but only as often as is necessary.
>
> My thoughts,
>
> Mark Wilson

Wouldn't it make better sense to see this as a general, timeless,
statement that something happens? If we want to title it, it would be a
gnomic present. The idea then would be "If this happens, then that
happens." I don't see how either progressive or habitual is required. It
seems more a statement of principle. The major truth is stated in 1:5.
The related truths or principles are stated in 1:6-10 -- 5 or 6 depending
on how you divide them.

Rob Matlack -- 620 E. 5th St., Minneapolis, KS 67467
RMatlack at juno.com      Hm: 785-392-2865   Church: 785-392-2089
"...that we may present every man mature in Christ Jesus."
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation"  --  R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight
on it's behalf." -- Blaise Pascal