1 John 1:9

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 16:59:29 EDT 2001

Mark House wrote:

---
>v. 6: "If we say that we are having (enjoying) fellowship with him, and are
>walking in darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth...."
>
>If we follow the progressives into v. 9, we have something like: "If we are
>confessing our sins, he is faithful and just....
>
>It seems to me that if one accepts this present progressive scheme, the
>implication is unavoidable that the confessing is part of the ongoing
>experience of the believer.
----

If, by Progressive, you mean an action that is ongoing in the
sense of "unbroken continuation," then I think I would have to disagree.
I am not sure the word hOMOLOGEW could bear that here.

Personally, I think of a Present as "ongoing" as often as I think
of an Aorist as "once-for-all," which is practically never, and
on the occasions I do think of an "ongoing" action or state, I do so
based on the lexical aspect primarily.

I would prefer to call this a Habitual Present. The idea then is
not to be continually confessing, but make it your habit to
confess your sins... but only as often as is necessary.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson