DIAMERISMOS cf. SCHISMA

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Aug 13 08:55:12 EDT 2001

At 8:27 AM -0400 8/13/01, Ian Rock wrote:
>Is there any difference in force between Luke's "DIAMERISMOS" in Luk.
>12:51 and Paul's "SCHISMA" in 1Cor. 1:10, which are both rendered
>'division' in the RSV and NRSV?
>
>Ian Rock
>Codrington College
>St. John
>Barbados

Inasmuch as both terms seem to be used of divisions involving hostility
between the parties divided from each other, the difference doesn't seem
very significant. SCISMA, literally meaning "split" or "rent/tear" sounds a
bit uglier, but in the Jesus-saying of Luke 12:51 the hostility doesn't
seem to be any less.

[Might I ask you, Ian, while reminding others, that we strongly urge
list-members NOT to use styled text or MIME format for messages sent to the
list (they always appear in dual format as both plain-text and in HTML code
in our digests, thus doubling the size of some digests and appearing in the
longer version as a sort of "gobbledygook." Instead, please use only
plain-text ASCII for messages sent to B-Greek. Thanks, cwc as co-chair of
B-Greek]

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com