Classical grammar to Koine grammar

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Aug 11 19:23:48 EDT 2001

At 8:16 PM +0000 8/11/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>>Consider Plato's  Ion 531b (OCT)
>>
>>SW: TI DE hWN PERI MH TAUTA (ie TA AUTA) LEGOUSIN;
>>         hOION PERI MANTIKHS LEGEI TI hOMHROS TE KAI
>>         hHSIODOS.
>>
>>"What about when they do not speak about the same subjects? For example,
>>  what Homer and Hesiod say about divination."

I would have thought this would be: "What about the subjects about which
they don't say the same things, e.g. Homer says something about divination
as does also Hesiod?"

>This raises an interesting question in my mind: to what extent
>or degree can we APPLY Classical grammar to Koine grammar?

I fail to see how the question you raise here, Mark, derives from the
citation from Plato's ION. At any rate, it's an immense question as the
range of diction, grammar and style in Koine is immense. Mark's gospel may
not be readily comparable to the diction, grammar and style of Plato, but
the works of Philo and Josephus are quite comparable in those respects. You
simply canNOT talk about "Koine grammar" as if it were something
homogeneous.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com