Jn 1.15 MARTUREI

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:29:10 EDT 2001

Geo:

You wrote:

-----
>I am remembering [without the citation] John using the present tense of
>baptizmo historically after John the Baptist's death, where he writes
>something like [and please don't hold me to this!!] "(And He returned to
>the
>river), where John is baptizing", and where clearly this is an historical
>present,
------

I have not looked for this particular passage you quote, but
I would not be too sure that "is baptizing" is the historic present,
although that may be an option.

I have noted in other sections of FF Bruce's commentary, where he
points out the idea of the "customary present." You might also
consider for this verse something like:

"and he returned to the river, where John customarily would baptize..."

I think that is the sense of the Customary Present.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson