Matt 8:7

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Fri Aug 10 17:58:40 EDT 2001

> >Matt 8:7 EGW ELQWN QERAPEUSW AUTON
>
> I must say that I agree with Clay here; I think the conventional
> understanding of this text is correct. By the way, did you really mean to
> call APELQONTES in Mk 6:37 a present participle? I would have said it's
> aorist.

No, I didn't mean to say present participle. And I don't see anything odd
with the aorist participle followed by the aorist subjunctive - if it is a
subjunctive. Nor do I see a problem with the aorist participle being
followed by a future.

I first heard the question option from Dr. France years ago as he had just
finished writing a commentary on Matthew.

The choice seems to be a matter of word order and pragmatics. Let me comment
on that to Clay. I would be interested in hearing from Carl, though, what
would be some reasons to choose the statement option over the question,
apart from tradition.

Iver Larsen