John 20:17

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Thu Aug 9 16:26:07 EDT 2001

At 20:19 09/08/01, Tony Costa wrote:

>I had a question re: John 20:17, MH MOU hAPTOU. This is variously
>translated for example in the AV as "Touch me not" and in the NASB as
>"Stop clinging to Me" I did a word check on hAPTW and it is defined as "to
>fasten to", "adhere to" and also to kindle a fire to something. I heard a
>lecturer once say that it could also be translated "Do not detain me". I
>find this rather an odd translation. Can the text be properly translated
>"Do not detain me"? Does HAPTW carry this meaning at all?

Tony:
This extract from Vine's Expository Dictionary should:
(a) help you to distinguish between the Active and the Middle usage of hAPTW
(b) explain the background to that lecturer's remark

kindle, denotes, in the Middle Voice (a) to touch, e.g., Matt. 8:3, 15;
9:20, 21, 29; (b) to cling to, lay hold of, John 20:17; here the Lord’s
prohibition as to clinging to Him was indicative of the fact that communion
with Him would, after His ascension, be by faith, through the Spirit; <<<<<<<<<

Maurice

mauros at iol.ie