John 20:17

Tony Costa tmcos at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:19:51 EDT 2001

Dear Friends,

  I had a question re: John 20:17, MH MOU hAPTOU. This is variously
translated for example in the AV as "Touch me not" and in the NASB as "Stop
clinging to Me" I did a word check on hAPTW and it is defined as "to fasten
to", "adhere to" and also to kindle a fire to something. I heard a lecturer
once say that it could also be translated "Do not detain me". I find this
rather an odd translation. Can the text be properly translated "Do not
detain me"? Does HAPTW carry this meaning at all? Many thanks.

                                             Tony Costa
                                             University of Toronto