Use of word "mallon"

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Wed Aug 8 15:00:03 EDT 2001

"Conrad Chiu" <cchiu at bhmc.com.au> said:
> I am very novice greek learner. I am just wondering if anyone can tell
> me what are the pointers to when "mallon" should be translated as
> "more than" as opposed to "rather than". I am specifically think of 2
> Tim 3:4 where the meaning will be quite significantly different.

To me, MALLON sets up a superlative relationship.  Whether the
relationship is comparison or contrast is to be determined by other
syntactic or semantic clues in the context.

For example, 2 Tim 3:4--
 FILHDONOI MALLON H FILOQEOI

The `H' (or) is the syntactic clue which sets up the contrast.

The NIV has "lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God."  I would
probably intensify the contrast even more since I think that is what
MALON is doing here.  Something like:  "lovers of pleasure which is
quite distinct from lovers of God."  Perhaps I'm overtranslating.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."