The Third Day - te trite hemera

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:02:06 EDT 2001

>1st Corinthians 15:1-4
>And that he was buried, and that he rose again THE THIRD DAY according to
>the scriptures:
>
>The following argument is made..
>
>"This phrase 'THE THIRD DAY' means The Third Day of the week,
>   in Hebrew Yom Sh'lishi, and in Greek, te trite hemera. It does not
>   mean the third day of a series or sequence. ..."
>
>The writer offers the following ideas (my extract from the web site)
>
>  te trite hemera - the third day of the week ...
>                             (equivalent of tuesday sunset to wed sunset in
>Julien calendar)
>
>  te trite             - the third (of a sequence) eg Acts 27:19 (where day
>is added in italics in KJV)
>
>therefore, he claims 1 Cor is referring to the third day of the week, not
>the third day after crucifixion

I would say that this individual's own argument is evidence
itself that such a position has no contextual or grammatical
support. If you were looking for "grammatical" feedback, there is
nothing with which to interact, since no "grammatical"
support is offered for 3rd day = 3rd day OF THE WEEK. Why
not the 3rd day OF THE MONTH? Would not a calendar support
that as well?

Mark Wilson