The Third Day - te trite hemera

Schmuel schmuel at bigfoot.com
Wed Aug 8 11:10:47 EDT 2001

Hi b-greek,

     Appreciate the help you gave me a while back on the Stephen Acts 7:59
passage
"Lord Jesus, receive my spirit" ... you folks were most excellent ...

      A couple of additional questions have come up on another issue  ...
from  ..  http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/bethmiqlat/truegospel.html

1st Corinthians 15:1-4
And that he was buried, and that he rose again THE THIRD DAY according to
the scriptures:

The following argument is made..

"This phrase 'THE THIRD DAY' means The Third Day of the week,
   in Hebrew Yom Sh'lishi, and in Greek, te trite hemera. It does not
   mean the third day of a series or sequence. ..."

The writer offers the following ideas (my extract from the web site)

  te trite hemera - the third day of the week ...
                             (equivalent of tuesday sunset to wed sunset in
Julien calendar)

  te trite             - the third (of a sequence) eg Acts 27:19 (where day
is added in italics in KJV)

therefore, he claims 1 Cor is referring to the third day of the week, not
the third day after crucifixion
--------------------------------------

'mia twn sabbatwn'   -  mia is one, not first, there is also no day
                                  sabbatwn is plural ..
     and that therefore it refers to the counting of the omer, not the
first day of the week...

(Yes I know that mia twn sabbatwn is an often discussed passage in Greek
circles :-)
  Would you comment on these translation ideas ?

  (They relate to some of the ideas on the website and a linked website,
    I am particularly interested in the Greek grammar/vocabulary issues above,
    not necessarily the theological day of resurrection conclusions ...)
Thank you.....
Hi Randall, appreciated the little Kastel fellowship :-)
    "O brother, where art thou" :-) how art thou too.. ?

     Do we have a forum to continute the Received Text vs Textual Criticism
little dialog ?
Steven Avery
Queens, NY (and sometimes Yerushalayim.)

Schmuel at bigfoot.com
Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe at yahoogroups.com