THE RIGHT HAND IN ACTS 3:7

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Tue Aug 7 07:35:16 EDT 2001

At 17:38 06/08/01, B. Ward Powers wrote:

>To what extent can other issues, other background factors, other passages,
>throw any light on our verse?

But John 18:10 surely illustrates that Peter was left-handed?
   >> Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it, struck the high priest's
slave, and cut off his right ear. <<

I have a vivid memory of the late Raymond Brown asking someone in the front
row to stand up, hold a ruler in his right hand and attempt to cut of
Raymond's right ear -- almost impossible to do, as the rest of us could see.

So, if Peter _were_ left-handed, wouldn't it be natural for him to take the
man by the right hand?

It seems to me that, given the ancient -- and persisting right down to our
own days =- prejudices about left-handed people, it is easy to see why the
tradition(s) should make such a point about Peter being left-handed.

Regards
Maurice

mauros at iol.ie