p46

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 5 08:22:28 EDT 2001

At 01:50 AM 8/5/01 -0400, Michael Buksar wrote:
>I recently found a leave of p46 for viewing from the Chester Beatty
>collection at the Univ. of Mich. library's website.  It is part of the first
>chapter of the Letter to the Hebrews.  What I need help with is a
>translation for the superscription that appears above pros ebraious.  I am
>assuming it is a superscription for Hebrews because it appears below a line
>count for the scribes previous work.  Nowhere, including Comfort and
>Barret's work on ancient manuscripts, can I find a reference to this curious
>superscript.  It reads as follows:  kai lou artos o adelphos---pros
>ebraious.  My initial translation is: And bread is purifying. The
>brotherhood(believers)  to the Hebrews.  I felt the continual/habitual force
>of the imperfect was important.  However, can o adelphos be in apposition to
>artos?  And bread, namely the brother's, is purifying----to the Hebrews.
>Any input will certainly be appreciated.

The phrase is actually KAI KOUARPTOS hO ADELFOS ("and Quartus the
brother"), with the fourth letter being a kappa, not a lambda, which
does bear some similiarity.

This phrase is not part of the superscription of Hebrews, but is
actually the last part of Romans at 16:23, because P46 places the
doxology of Rom. 16:25-27 after 15:33.

In Comfort and Barrett's first edition, you can see this phrase
on the bottom of page 214.

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35