Greek double negative

Richard Allan Stauch RStauch at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 3 21:07:07 EDT 2001

Dear B-Greeks,

Also:

Luke 22:67b EAN hUMIN EIPW OU MH PISTEUSHTE:
In English, a double negative is a positive (I don't have no answer = I have
an answer). I guess in Greek it is a way of emphasizing (that is what it
looks like, but I am probably wrong again). Here, OU addresses the fact, and
MH addresses the idea (if I am reading this stuff correctly). Ergo, could it
be (rather literally) translated: "No, you would not believe [even] if I
told you"? That is, to paraphrase: I reject the very idea of saying it
plainly, because in fact you will not believe it whatever what I say.

Thanks again,
Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA