Forms of interrogative using OU and MH

Richard Allan Stauch RStauch at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 3 20:56:59 EDT 2001

Hello, B-Greeks,

Simple question: And, pardon the made-up sentence, since I probably got it
wrong, anyway: I am trying to understand the different forms of Greek
questions, and my reading seems to indicate that OU in this structure would
expect a positive response, and that MH in the same structure would expect a
negative response (though, in either case, the actual response might be
otherwise). So, I made up examples for me to ponder, and (before I develop
too many bad habits) I wanted some reaction from those of you "in the know."

Greek: OU SU EI~;
English: You are, are you not? [Expects a positive.]

Greek: MH SU EI~;
English: You are not, are you? [Expects a negative.]

Is this about correct? Off the mark? Just plain silly?

Thanks,
Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA