Luke 1:14 EPI THi GENESEI AUTOU

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 2 07:34:56 EDT 2001

At 7:21 AM -0400 8/2/01, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Luke 1:14 KAI POLLOI EPI THi GENESEI AUTOU XARHSONTAI
>
>Zerwick says that GENNAW in the above passage means "to bear". Most
>translations say that many will rejoice "at his birth", which seems like
>the most obvious meaning. If I wanted to translate it "to bear", I think I
>would read the phrase as something like "and he will bring joy to many",
>but my brain is having a hard time coercing EPI THi GENESEI into that
>meaning. Or perhaps this phrase could be read as "at his prompting"?
>
>So here are my questions:
>
>1. How do you think Zerwick would interpret the phrase as a whole, if he
>believes the GENNAW means "to bear"?
>2. What are the range of natural interpretations for the phrase EPI THi
>GENESEI?
>3. Is there any reason to be dissatisfied with the traditional translation
>"many will rejoice at his birth"?

Jonathan, I'm not sure you've read aright what Zerwick says (but, if the
truth be told, I don't have Zerwick before me): the form GENNHSEI in verse
13 is indeed future 3d sg. of GENNAW, "give birth to/generate" but GENESEI
in verse 14 is dative sg. from the noun GENESIS, "birth." Does Zerwick
REALLY say that GENESEI in verse 14 is from GENNAW?

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com