Romans 1:16,17 - The antecedent of EN AUTW

John Wilking johnwilking at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 20:22:36 EST 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Joe Friberg said,

The following are a few examples.

Rom 2:1  DIO ANAPOLOGHTOS EI, W ANQRWPE PAS hO KRINWN EV hWi GAR KRINEIS...

Heb 5:13  PAS GAR hOMETECWN...NHPIOS GAR ESTIN.

Rom 4:11  ...PATERA PANTWN TWN PISTEUONTWV...EIS TO LOGISQHNAI AUTOIS
DIKAIOSUNHN.

Matt 5:28, 13:19; John 3:20; Lk 12:8, etc.  Rom 1:7, although exophoric,
appears anaphoric to a degree.

The following has an anaphoric expression that does not refer to the
adjective clause.

John 18:4  IHSOUS OUN EIDWS PANTA TA ERCOMENA EP' AUTON EXHLQEN KAI LEGEI
AUTOIS....  The AUTOIS doesn't refer to PANTA TA ERCOMENA but to the
officials and soldiers in verse 3.  You can't ask questions of future
events.

John