Greek shorthand?

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 00:52:33 EDT 2000

Acts 16:31

PISTEUSON EPI TON KURION IHSOUN KAI SWQHSHi SU
KAI hO OIKOS SOU

Although a little too wordy for my liking, is the following “expanded
rendition” of this verse conceptually close:

“you (the jailer) must believe on the Lord Jesus and you (the jailer) will
be saved,
and your household members [must believe on the Lord Jesus and THEY shall be
saved].”

It seems that the final KAI hO OIKOS SOU is a shorthand way of repeating
the same sentence, allowing for the substitution of subjects.

Rather than having to restate the entire sentence, would this construction
indicate that subject#2 (the jailer’s household) can be inserted where
subject#1 (the jailer) is used?

That’s the best I know how to word my question right now.

Hope you understand my question better than I have asked it :o )

By the way “Carl” how do these “quotation marks” look?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson