jn 1:41

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:29:39 EDT 2000

At 11:12 AM -0400 8/30/00, Jim West wrote:
>i find that in rabbinic literature the term <gk>euriskei</gk> is rendered
><heb>ashkath</heb> carrying the connotation of a confrontation.  im
>wondering if the greek word euriskw bears such a connotation as well.  and
>even if it doesnt, is it possible to render it here as if it did since john
>is writing to jews and would no doubt expect them to hear the word on their
>own terms.

No. IF he were writing to Jews (only) and (no doubt) were expecting them to
hear the word on their own terms, I would have thought he'd be writing to
them in their own language. There IS a limit, I think, beyond which you
can't push this proposition that it's an accident that the NT corpus
survives only in Greek and that it fundamentally reflects Jewish tradition
alone.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu