Phil. 2.7 (first set of questions)

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:48:14 EDT 2000

Phil. 2.7

hEAUTON EKENWSEN MORFHN DOULOU LABWN
EN hOMOIWMATI ANQRWPWN GENOMENOS
KAI SCHMATI hEUREQEIS hWS ANQRWPOS

Oepke states that there is an omitted object that needs to be supplied.
Ruling out ETAPEINWSEN hEAUTON as the implied object (which creates a weak
tautology), Oepke opts for TOU EINAI ISA QEWi.

Since we are dealing with a person and not a quality or thing, KENOW seems
to me to mean, “to disrobe or divest oneself temporarily.”

Which I guess would yield:

“He disrobed himself of equality with God by taking on the semblance/form of
a servant.”

Is this how one would supply the missing object?

Wallace indicates that taking LABWN as Means must explain how Christ could
“empty” himself by means of “addition” (TAKING ON the form of a servant),
rather than an implied “subtraction” of some kind. (GGBB, 630)

Can KENOW be used in a Passive sense? In TDNT, pg. 661, I can not tell if
the author is saying this or not, but he gives the following: pass. “to come
to nothing.”

I am having a hard time even exploring this possibility with the hEAUTON
present. Does this reflexive pronoun eliminate any passive possibilities?

Or, would it be acceptable to translate this like:

“by means of receiving the semblance/form of a servant, he was disrobed of
equality with God.”

Again, I have no idea what to do with hEAUTON if I take this as passive.

Also, are the following translations possible?

Taking LABWN as Purpose:

“He disrobed himself of equality with God in order to take on the
semblance/form of a servant.”

or, Adverbially:

“He disrobed himself of equality with God when he took on the semblance/form
of a servant.”

Thank you,

Mark Wilson