Fwd: Mk 10:21

Mike Sangrey mike at sojurn.lns.pa.us
Wed Aug 30 07:33:41 EDT 2000

Cindy Westfall <CWestf5155 at aol.com> said:
> It's the difference between a bar scene where the setting in the
> imperfect  (backdrop) are the flies buzzing, the alchohol flowing, and
> a dog scratching.  (The flies were buzzing, the alchohol was
> flowing...) The present is like a  focus on a pocker game on center
> stage (and there's this card game).  The  aorist is like the play by
> play account of the game (the dealer hit the bad  guy with two), and
> the perfect could mark the climax where the Virginian  pulled his gun
> out and said "Smile when you say that" (though I think that  there are
> additional ways to mark the climax).

And what happens after the Virginian shoots?  Kenny Rodgers, who has been
serving behind the bar all along, sings
   "You got to know when to hold 'em,
    know when to fold 'em,
    know when to walk away,
    know when to run"

Which of course is a series of infinitives bringing out and highly focusing
on the real point of the bar room scene.

Thanks Cindy for the excellent illustration--clear as a whistle.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike at sojurn.lns.pa.us
Landisburg, Pa.
       Every Christian library should have a plaque which states:
              "There is one book which explains all these."