Rewards Ceremony?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Aug 28 19:30:02 EDT 2000

At 7:25 PM +0000 8/28/00, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Carl wrote:
>

>>In my opinion it is the usage of KOMIZOMAI more than anything
>>else here that makes this verse confusing to one not familiar with the
>>forensic usage.
>

>Two follow-up questions, please.
>
>1. Could you expand on the "confusion" regarding KOMIZOMAI?
>
>Does the use of KOMIZOMAI here tend to support taking the BHMA in a judicial
>sense (witness stand), tribunal sense (whatever that is), or more of the
>rewards platform of the Isthmian games?

Yes, I think it does; it functions both as a commercial and as a judicial
term; here's Louw and Nida:

15.191 KOMIZW a : to carry or bring something to someone, usually implying
a transfer - 'to carry to, to bring (to).'  'she brought an alabaster jar
of perfume' Lk 7:37.

57.126 KOMIZOMAI a  : to receive as a type of compensation - 'to receive,
to obtain.'  'when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the
glorious crown which will never lose its brightness' 1Pe 5:4.

57.136 APOLAMBANW b, KOMIZOMAI b : to receive back something which one has
previously possessed or its equivalent - 'to get back, to receive back, to
be paid back.'
 'even sinners lend to sinners to get back the same amount' Lk 6:34.
 'I would have received it all back with interest when I returned' Mt 25:27.

>2. Does the use of this term, BHMA, mean something slightly different to a
>Corinthian, as opposed to those of a geographical area where the Isthmian or
>Olympian games were NOT hosted?

No, it means most fundamentally a "grandstand" or "platform" or "place to
stand (in front of an audience)" and I don't think that would differ from
one locality to another. Remember that those games held at Olympus or the
Isthmos or Delphi were international in nature. I do think the
forensic/judicial context is a little bit more frequent for BHMA.

Still in the present context I think the passage as a whole best suits a
forensic context for Christ's final tribunal:

TOUS GAR PANTAS hHMAS FANERWQHNAI DEI EMPROSQEN TOU BHMATOS TOU CRISTOU,
hINA KOMISHTAI hEKASTOS TA DIA TOU SWMATOS PROS hA EPRAXEN, EITE AGAQON
EITE FAULON

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu