ALL EX ISOTHTOS

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 01:03:09 EDT 2000

2 Cor. 8:13

OU  GAR hINA ALLOIS ANESIS hUMIN QLIYIS
ALL EX ISOTHTOS

"For I do not say this so there would be relief for others and suffering for
you, but as a matter of equality." (NET Bible)

Contextually, it seems that Paul is assuring the Corinthians that he is not
asking them to give (financially) to the extent that it creates hardship for
them, while reversing the recipients’ current hardships. That is, Paul does
not want to bring relief to the Jerusalem poor by bringing about suffering
to the Corinthians due to their giving more than they are able. He is simply
asking them to give, as they are able to do so, without creating hardships
for themselves.

Then, Paul says, ALL EX ISOTHTOS,  “but out of equity (equality).”

I do not sense the idea here is to give in order to create (financial)
equality among all believers. (as some translations imply)

What then does this phrase ALL EX ISOTHTOS mean?

One commentary I checked translates it:
“but on the grounds of equity.”

This did little to clarify it for me.

However, of some interest was a footnote in this commentary where it
mentioned that Philo thought ISOTHS was, in some way, related to DIKAIOSUNH.
(lexically??)

With this comment by Philo, I then imagined that this phrase was referring
to “righteousness” somehow. I thought: Does this mean that the Corinthians
should give to the poor on the grounds or basis of their being the
recipients of God’s righteousness? Or, because this is the kind of behavior
righteous people should demonstrate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson