KATHRTISQAI - Heb. 11:3

Jon D. Boyd johanan at juno.com
Sat Aug 26 18:20:22 EDT 2000

You wrote:

Can anyone tell me what does the grammar require or what does the
grammar limit one to in intrepreting KATHRTISQAI in Heb. 11:3.   We are
not looking for your intrepretation of the word or verse or what you
think the verb KATARTIZW means we are just interested in finding out
about the grammar.

Heb. 11:3 says,

PISTEI VOOUMEN KATHRTISQAI TOUS AIWNAS hRHMATI QEOU, EIS TO MH EK
FAINOMENWN TO BLEPOMENON GEGONENAI.

The word KATHRTISQAI is a perfect pass. infinitive.  This infinitive
could be called a "complementary infinitive" because it completes the
thought of the main verb VOOUMEN.  The infinitive also introduces
"indirect discourse" because it comes after a verb of perception or
communication (e.g. knowing, speaking, believing, asking).  In the
English sentence, "He told me to eat the apple," the words "to eat" would
be indirect discourse.  This indirect discourse implies the direct
discourse, "Eat the apple."  In Heb. 11:3, the author tells us what we
understand by faith.  I would say the direct discourse (in English) would
be something like "The worlds were prepared by the word of God."  I hope
that helps a little.

Jonathan Boyd