KATHRTISQAI - Heb. 11:3

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 26 02:09:40 EDT 2000

Susan:

I am one of the rookies in Greek grammar (and on B-Greek); so take my post
with extreme caution :o )

Heb. 11:3a

PISTEI NOOUMEN KATHRTISQAI TOUS AIWNAS hRHMATI QEOU

KATHRTISQAI Perfect Passive Infinitive (to be placed into a state of
existence or order)

Since KATHRTISQAI follows a verb of perception (NOOUMEN), one might lean
toward taking this as an Indirect Discourse marker.

As Perfect, KATHRTISQAI would emphasize its current state of existence

As Passive, KATHRTISQAI would indicate that “the ages” received their state
of existence by an outside agent

As Infinitive, KATHRTISQAI denotes Indirect Discourse (in this passage where
it follows verb of perception)

KATARTIZW I take to mean: put together or set in order.

Putting this all together (no pun intended), I would offer this:

“By means of faith, we know that (Indirect Discourse) the various segments
of history (ages) remain in a state (Perfect) of having been set in order
(Passive) by a decree from God.”

However, I must defer to those with many years of Greek.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson