PANTWN hUMWN in 1 Cor 14:18

Mark Wilson emory2002 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 10:41:49 EDT 2000

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>I noted yesterday, perhaps all too briefly, that I see no relationship
>between Acts 2 and the discussion of GLWSSAI in 1 Cor 12-14;

I actually did see this brief comment, but had no idea what you meant. Now
that you have clarified it, I would unequivocally disagree!!!!

However, I do note that in 1 Cor 14, some Corinthians had manufactured their
own "gift of tongues," (ecstatics) but this false "tongues" is the subject
of Paul's sharp rebuke. They were acting like children.

As Paul indicates in 1 Cor. 14:21-22, the gift of Gentile Languages was
prophesied in Isaiah 28. The Isaiah "near" fulfillment was in perfectly
understood Gentile Languages. Same with the "far" fulfillment.

But then again, Carl has always warned us that he is
very Liberal  :o )

Thank you,

Mark Wilson