Translation of EKKLHSIA

J. Garnier nomre2me at home.com
Tue Aug 22 04:35:36 EDT 2000

 I hope I am included in your, as I agree with Jim West, who said:

>I am personally partial to the word "assembly"-

with this addition of preceding assembly with "called-out", for the reason that an assembly can be a bunch of people in one place, not necessarily a group convened for a specific purpose.  As to the use of church, this give the erroneous assumption than an EKKLHSIA can only be a religious body, which is not the case, as attested by

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites (eds. Richard Stillwell, William L. MacDonald, Marian Holland McAllister): id delphi [D: DELPHI Phokis, Greece. Map 11.]
"prytaneis the archon eponymus being probably one of them, a Boula, or council, of 15 members in charge during six months, and a popular assembly ecclesia. "

E.C. Marchant, Commentary on Thucydides: Book 2: book 2, chapter 40, section 2 [Commentary on Book 2]
"This contains an encouragement to the citizens to exercise their right of voting in the ecclesia, since they were capable of pronouncing an opinion on any policy proposed to them: but there are cases in which the citizens conspicuously erred in their judgment. "

A plethora of other examples can be found at Perseus.  The EKKLHSIA is an assembly of common folks given the authority and ability to do a specific task.  This idea that Jesus ordained the competing religious hierarchies now functioning as EKKLHSIA/churches is not borne out by an examination of relevant documentation.

                                                  Two more cents from the limited funds of,
                                                                       Joseph Garnier
                                                                       Seattle WA