Translation of EKKLHSIA

Lucky Mele lucky.m at juno.com
Tue Aug 22 07:43:54 EDT 2000

I found this in my notes:

EKKLHSIA assembly duly summoned (usually by one of authority hO ECWN
KUROS; Belonging  to the Lord, KUPIAKOS); in the Lxx it is "the Jewish
congregation". Lord can be secular. Meetings of early Christians took
place in a home or sometimes in a room of a house specifically set up for
the use of these assemblies or "ekklesia" and that place of meeting was
at a place of one with authority or affluence in the congregation. It can
be used as meaning the assembly of people with common interests, or
ethnos, called by a leader.

I would appreciate any corrections to my understanding of the term. I'm
not sure of my source or sources. If need be I could check further.

Regards,

Anthony Mele