Translation of EKKLHSIA

Marc Pembroke maplaw at gwi.net
Tue Aug 22 14:56:03 EDT 2000

I lack the expertise of most of the members of this list, but it seems to me
that it may be nearly impossible to separate "religious influence" on
language from culture itself.

It's certainly true that when Greek-speaking Jews began to use ekklhsia to
translate the Hebrew equivalents, it took on a different meaning, at least
for the Hellenistic Jewish community.

in all due respect to Jim West's remarks, even if we try to use a more
apparently "neutral" term, like "assembly," recall that it may depend on the
audience, particularly in the United States
Consider

Assembly of God
The United States in Congress Assembled
Assembly line
General Assembly

Does the word not carry a religious, or political, or legal, or economic
connotation depending on context and audience? Does "General Assembly" have
more of a "religious" overtone for a Presbyterian than for a
Congregationalist? Similarly, I think the same problem occurred with the
development of the early Church.

Hope that's helpful.

Marc A. Pembroke
P.O. Box 882